Chairperson, International Conference on Oceans and Rivers, 13th to 15th of October, 2014
Held in Nadi, Fiji National University, Nadi, fiji Islands
International Women of Courage of Sri Lanka for the Year 2011 nominated by The United States Embassy in Sri Lanka
The best environmental Activity by a single individual in the last ten years awarded in 1998. This award was for the recycling programme which I have established in the country after my research at dump sites among the waste picker population. The award was presented by the Sri Lanka Environmental Journalists Forum together with the UNEP and the Australian Embassy.
Human Potential Development Award of 2003,
United Nations Friendships Organization of Sri Lanka
SONTA Award for the Professional Women in the category of Environment, 2005
Ashoka Fellowship for commitment to use of waste as a tool for economic development of low and middle income groups, awarded by the Ashoka Change Makers, 2005
Award for Human Potential Development, Ministry of Social Services 2007
Founder/ Co-ordinator, National Programme on Recycling of Solid Waste
Creating awareness among the Local Authorities, the General Public and the educational sector on the possibilities of recycling of paper, glass, plastics, rubber and biodegradable in Sri Lanka. Involved in arranging collection centres, assisting persons (waste pickers) collecting waste materials from the public, assist recycling industry to expand, assist local authorities and Samurdhi recipients to generate an extra income through the recycling programme. Awareness on the role of the public on Solid Waste.
Advisor, Ministry for Environment
Assisted Ministry in developing the National Policy on Solid Waste for Sri Lanka in 2009
Member of the “Pilisaru” committee for Solid waste management in Sri Lanka
Member, Consumer Affairs Authority
Determination of pricing of essential goods, guidance on protection of consumer rights according to the Consumer Affairs Act
Member, Food Advisory Committee of the Ministry for Health-
Controlling the quality of food imported into Sri Lanka and sold in Sri Lanka according to the Food Act.
Member, Committee on Labeling and Advertising of foods, Ministry of Health
Member, National Committee for the control of Dengue, Ministry of Health
Chairperson, Association for Consumer Action- National Program to raise awareness on Consumer rights, initiating consumer actions and resolving consumer complaints
Former Advisor/Consultant to Sri Lanka Institute for Development Administration
Includes Curriculum development for the subjects of Environment, Environmental impact assessment, and Waste Management.
Co-ordinator of the Waste Management programme. The course is for
Administrative service officers and the officers of the Local Government authorities.
Former Advisor-Colombo District environmental Law Enforcing Committee. This Committee is held at the District Secretary office, attended by the Divisional Secretaries, the Urban Council
and Pradeshiya Sabha Chairmen, the Municipal Council Mayors as well
as the medical officers, development officers and the public health
inspectors of the Local Governmental Institutions.
My work in the Committee includes :- Advise the committee on environmental issues faced by the public at large, visit the problem areas,
assist in decision making regarding the complaints on environmental problems sent by the people of the Colombo District.
Environmental awareness among the public (school children, university students, Administrative Officers)
Former Member, National Hazardous Waste Committee. The work included -Formulating a national definition for Hazardous waste, Legal control of hazardous waste according to the Basel Convention
Chairperson, Environmental Committee- Organization for Professional Organizations of Sri Lanka. Assisted in the formulation of environmental policies for the institution compiled document for Sri Lanka
PhD in Natural Sciences (Specialisation Environmental Science)
Ludwig Maximillian University, Munich-Germany, 1992
The impact of Lindane, an insecticide on the haematology, the residue accumulation, their physiological implications and pathological implications in organs and systems done using electron microscopy and the impact of the residues on breeding patterns and the off springs of rainbow trout
MSc in Biology (spec. Environ. Science)
Ludwig Maximillian University, Munich-Germany, 1987
The impact of Lindane, an insecticide on the blood profile of rainbow trout
BSc. Special Hons. in Biochemistry and Physiology
University of Sheffield, England - 1981.
G.C.E. Advanced Level Examination - London
Resident Periclean Scholar at the Elon University, North Carolina, United States, 2011:
- Held lectures for the staff and students of the Elon University on the Human responsibility for Environmental Protection
- Held lectures and did practical work on Environmental protection for the Graham Middle School in Alamance County, North Carolina
- Visited Alamance County Dumpsite and held a discussion on its
Presented a paper titled “ Environmental Protection in the Midst of Human Conflict” at the Solid Waste conference by the Journal of Solid Waste Management of Widener University, Philadelphia, USA, 2011
Presented paper titled “ Environmental protection in the midst of human conflict” T the South Asian Architects Congress held in Pakistan, 2010
Water Analyst for Pesticide residue - Water Authority of the Ministry of Environment, Munich – Germany 1988
- The Eco-location behaviour of bat species living in the caves of Koslanda, University of Kelaniya 1984
- The impact of agricultural run off on the ornamental fish, University of Kelaniya and the Ceylon Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research,
- 1983 – 1985
Feasibility project for the culture of Macrobrachium rosenbergii in Muthurajawela swamps, University of Kelaniya, 1984
- The pesticide residues in the commonly eaten vegetable of Sri Lanka, University of Colombo in collaboration with the Ceylon Institute of Scientific and Research, grant given by the Ministry of Environment,
- The pesticide residues in the poultry, University of Colombo in collaboration with the Ceylon Institute of Scientific Research, grant given by the Ministry of Environment,1993
- The impact of the activities of the Rag picker community on solid waste management, 1993
- The impact of agricultural run off on the Kankun, Diya gowa growing in the areas adjacent to the paddyfields of Aralaganwila and the water of Kuda Oya, Joint research with Prof. Jim Burleigh of USA, 1996
- Impact of Meethotamulla dump site on the surrounding surface and ground water quality, University of Colombo 1993
- The impact of clay-mining in Dankotuwa, University of Colombo, 1995
- The efficiency of the waste treatment plant of the Biyagama Industrial Zone for Heavy metal removal, University of Colombo, 1995
- The establishment o a compost plant in a war zone: Compost plant in Veppumkulam, Vavuniya set up by the German Technical Cooperation in collaboration with the Vavuniya Urban Council and the Local Government Commissioner, 1998
- The recycling of Tsunami debris along beach road in Kalmunai, eastern province. The work included the separation of concrete pieces of the waste and recycling of them to form new concrete blocks. The work was supported by World Vision Lanka, 2004I'm a paragraph.
2010 - present
2010 - present